Starting with a tiny Root Beer stand in California, a&w menu prices grew into the nation’s first franchise restaurant chain. As you go along it popularized drive-in restaurants and made Root Beer Floats a nationwide – and international – treat. Even Marriott hotels traces its roots to A & W. 100 years of history is, well, a lot of history. But here’s a good beginning.
1) A&W was founded on June 20, 1919 in Lodi, California, with the first mug of Root Beer served at a homecoming parade for World War I veterans; it was the initial U.S. chain restaurant to grow to Southeast Asia (1963).
2) A&W Restaurants is over the age of sliced bread (1919 vs. 1928).
3) A&W invented the initial Bacon Cheeseburger in 1963 (invented by Dale Murder who became president and is also now chairman from the board).
4) A&W introduced Rooty the Great Root Bear as its mascot in 1973.
5) A&W Restaurants manufactured 150,000 glass mugs for 2019, saving approximately 180 paper cups per mug.
6) A&W Restaurants has raised over $800,000 for veterans-related charities since 2014.
7) California houses by far the most A&W Restaurants with approximately 70 locations.
a. 2nd most: Wisconsin (approximately 50 locations)
b. 3rd most: Michigan (approximately 40 locations)
8) Gallons of any&W Root Beer consumed in 2018 (domestic and international): 1,109,934
9) Pounds of Cheese Curds sold in 2018 (U.S. only): 2,060,988
10) You will find nearly one thousand A&W restaurants worldwide, with approximately 600 within the U.S.
On June 20, A&W had become the first American restaurant chain to change 100. The very first frosty mug of Root Beer was served in Lodi, California with a parade honoring World War I veterans. “A&W has a long past of supporting veterans,” said A&W CEO Kevin Bazner. “With this being our centennial year, National Root Beer Float Day is extra special.”
This is A&W’s seventh annual National Root Beer Float Day celebration as well as the third year it provides partnered with DAV. A&W and DAV hope to raise $200,000 for your organization, which serves several million veterans annually. Fundraising began in late June. The $150,000 A&W raised for DAV in 2018 provided an estimated $6 million in direct good things about veterans.
“Our partnership using a&W keeps growing each year, and that we truly appreciate its support for the ill and injured veterans,” said Marc Burgess, DAV National Adjutant and CEO. “The needs in our American heroes are xagtcr as great today as 100 years ago, and that we are incredibly pleased to again be working with AAndW on National Root Beer Float Day.”
Since 2013, A&W has raised more than $800,000 for veterans groups during National Root Beer Float Day.
In Regards To A&W – America’s first and oldest restaurant chain, https://www.awrestaurants.com/ still makes Root Beer fresh in each restaurant from real cane sugar, water and a proprietary mixture of herbs, bark, spices and berries which can be served in a frosty mug along with burgers, fries, chicken tenders as well as other All American Food® favorites. You will find nearly one thousand locations worldwide.