Using tap water to make baby formula is probably not a smart decision given the possible contaminants that can exist in tap water nowadays. In case you are a parent, please read this article in its entirety. I have some valuable information to mention. Are you aware of just how vulnerable your infant is?
1. Microbial Threats – Inside the spring of 1993 a microscopic parasite called Cryptosporidium parvum was responsible for longer than 100 deaths in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It arrived through the city’s water supply because a water treatment plant failed to filter it all out. Nowadays stricter regulations help to make sure that our water to drink is monitored and treated efficiently before ending up at our taps.
However we must not relax because there still are a number of waterborne bacteria that still cause illnesses. A list includes nontyphoid Salmonella, pathogenic Escherichia coli and Legionella. All are still very active, Legionella grows vigorously in warm water, such as in a shower where it can be inhaled with the steam.
2. Lead – Probably the most feared of all contaminants because of the damage it can cause for the brain. A newly released sampling of tap water in Washington D.C. exposed lead levels 5 times the EPA standard. The lead is most likely to come from your own household plumbing. This can happen if your house has lead pipes, or copper pipes soldered with lead plus it depends on the age of your house.
In fact the EPA suggest that you only use cold water for cooking, drinking and particularly for producing baby formula. This is because your hot water is more than likely to contain higher concentrations of lead. You are on the greatest risk from any exposure to lead should you be a young child or in case you are pregnant
3. Chlorinated Solvents – Would you use the following, drain cleaners, shoe polish, waxes, oven cleaners? These contain chlorinated solvents, they are part of a chemical family which is widely used in household and industrial processes. In 2006 samples of drinking water in twelve states were examined and ten percent were contaminated with chlorinated solvents.
4. Chemical Contaminants – Through the years we have produced many synthetic organic chemicals including antibiotics, herbicides, pesticides to mention but several. Many of these find their distance to our water supplies through various means, whether from illegal dumping of waste material or through the action of rain water. Once these end up in our water to drink they posses a really real threat to our health.
When they do wind up in our water supply, based on the authorities these are at “this kind of low concentration which they do not pose a health risk to consumers.” It sounds very comforting, however I would ask how about the long term contact with these low concentrations? A small level of pollutant probably would not affect an adult, but what might it do in order to a young child?
5. Chlorine – Chlorine has been utilized in our water supply for approximately 100 years. It really is still a priceless and effective disinfectant, and it keeps working completely up to your tap. However chlorine has an Achilles heel, water naturally contains organic matter and once this comes into exposure to chlorine the end result is disinfection by-products. These by-products can affect the fitness of your nervous system, liver and kidneys.
Your baby is very susceptible to anyone these contaminants so it’s smart to stop using tap water to help make baby formula today. What you ought to do is obtain an effective water purifier. May I suggest a combination of ixoqvx carbon filters, ion exchange, and sub micron filtration. This helps remove of nearly all the contaminants contained in water. If at all possible, get yourself a whole house water system and be sure you utilize purified water for your baby’s needs. This way, you can ensure that your baby stays safe and healthy.